Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Time to Pick this Up


Joe Pye Weed popping up out of the ground. (1st success after a winter season)


The bulk of what will be produced within the framework of this blog will center on my own experience, at this early stage and during the beginning entries. There are only a very few weeks before I embark on a career change. Part of me has considerable concern for what lies ahead. My approach to all of this will be quite similar to that of taking a butterfly (fishing net) at various prospective opportunities and simply hoping that I grab a beautiful butterfly, in my case I only hope it is meaningful employment that can pay the bills. Hopefully I can gain some more skills in areas or industries that I am interested in.


Syrah Grape Vine during 'Bud Break'. Click on photo and look at base of vine. Successful after 1st Winter season in ground.

Today I took two hours to make it back to my apartment to get away from work, as it was the case that I was scheduled to work tonight. Rest is more and more necessary with getting older. 35 is coming around the corner. But, whenever I go back to my apartment I immediately dance toward the plants and the cuttings and the seedlings, etc. I am delighted to report that I have two (2) Cabernet Sauvignon cuttings growing. The way to express this is that 'bud break' has occurred. The cuttings are from a Cabernet Sauv grape vine that my parents tend to in their backyard in St. Louis, MO. My parents' grape vine was originally planted back in March 2008. The existing one was one of a pair that I planted as a gift to them.

In addition to the Cabernet Sauvignon cuttings, I planted, last Septmeber 2009 just before the first frost, five (5) Syrah cuttings that I grew in pots beginning in March 2009. So far, only one has experienced 'bud break' after wintering in the soil and facing the weather of Chicago, Illinois and the winters that visit this region by Lake Michigan.

Thirdly, I have six (6) Cabernet Franc cuttings in pots in my apartment. I have not seen 'bud break' yet, but according to the evidence I noted today at the apartment, I am confident that I will be able to successfully grow Cabernet Franc grape vine cuttings this summer. I am delighted because it has seemed that these vines were in a very deep sleep. I had a good deal of worry in recent weeks that my purchase of these vines was for naught.


Willamette beer Hops. 3rd summer in the soil.

The entire garden, as a matter of fact, is simply erupting with life. Joe Pye Weed, Rudebeckias, Switch Grass, Hostas (3 varieties), Willamette Hops, Big Bluestem, Russian Sage, Bergamot, etc., etc. Things are looking up on many levels. I did see the Willamette Hops just rocketing out of the garden, ALREADY!!! This is my 3rd year of growing Willamette Hops in the backyard of the apartment that I live in. The 3rd year must be the charm because these living plants have covered nearly half of the area that they covered last year. AND, it seems that the hops multiplied underground, unbeknownst to me, during last year's growing season.



Willamette beer Hops. 3rd summer in the soil.

I have no idea what cards I am going to draw. What is beginning to become a very solid notion is that this endeavor of growing vines is and has to be part of a 30 to 40-year plan, part of a Master Plan, if you will. Baby steps, but solid steps.

Pages