Sunday, April 25, 2010

updates from April 13 2010 - Garden photos


Russian Sage
very early spring 2010 April 13


Red Bergamot
(Monarda) very early spring April 13 2010. It survived its first winter.


I love this photo of the Willamette beer Hops because the rhizomes are just simply out of control. This is the 3rd spring that I have grown these particular hops. It is going to be a watershed year, I have a hunch.



These are Mars Seedless grapes. This will be the type that I'll use for putting on the table for snacking and sharing with friends, neighbors, etc. I thought this was a decent photo because of the silly little info card providing a white background by which to contrast and grasp the growth of the buds.


I love Big Bluestem grass. This is 'the' grass of the Midwest and Plains states, in my opinion. I would wager that any professor of Horticulture would beg to differ. I really have such a high regard for this type of prairie grass, native to so many states, when it is fully mature. I often think of Dave Scharr, an old boss from when I was a camp counselor in south central Iowa (mid to late 90's in Warren County, Iowa, to be exact). Dave taught me so much about native habitats. I was a young chap from the city of St. Louis who only knew the cutting and manicuring of urban lawns and fending off the pesky dandelion 'weed', as I understood it.

Pages