Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Catch-All Blog Posting

(cuttings from the Mars Seedless vine. I decided to prune it back to experiment, in all honesty. After the rat poison incident of early summer 2010, the vine struggled and I am just hoping to give it another lease on life in the big city, The Second City actually. We'll see how it develops. Photo taken March 3 2011 Thursday)

(This photo is just for the sake of indicating the green Xylem inside the vine, even after a harsh Chicago winter. This is the first year I have begun to take notice of such physiological characteristics. I am encouraged. Again, these are the few Mars Seedless cuttings I was able to extract. Rolling dice here by trying to get cuttings off these plants in Chicago. Photo taken Thursday March 3 2011)

(Syrah grape vine cuttings. I am a little worried about how the vine wintered. I realize the vine is not matched well with the climate, but I worry a bit about the color that the vine took. My question is whether or not the Periderm actually developed properly. We'll see. Photo: March 3 2011 Thursday)

(Syrah grape vine cuttings just a little bit closer in scope. Note the green of the Xylem. Seeing the green took me by surprise. Photo: March 3 2011 Thursday.)

(Syrah grape vine cuttings. Another close-up of the vine's Xylem after wintering in Chicago, Illinois. This region has seen harsher winters. Seeing the green on this Vinifera planted is a considerable surprise. Photo: March 3 2011 Thursday.)


(Willamette Hops from Thursday March 3 2011. This was a very cold day. On March 2nd, I was in Bloomington, Indiana and the weather was very agreeable. The very next day in Chicago on the 3rd I had been smacked in the face by the winds coming off Lake Michigan as I waited for a bus (downtown Waukegan, IL) after my transmission blew on the blue 1996 Toyota Camry - I had to get to work somehow, right? The result was windburned cheeks, but the experience made me grateful. These Hops still keep growing despite the chilly temps. I am watching these to see what they are capable of. They look like fighters to me.)

(Willamette Hops from Thursday March 3 2011. Look on the right half of the photography to note the faint green in catching a glimpse of this Hops growth.)

(Willamette Hops from Thursday March 3 2011. Again, look for the green in the photo.)


Plenty of photos to catch up on. The weather today reached 59 degrees by 1PM in Chicago. Currently it is 34 degrees Fahrenheit and has been raining quite extensively for well over 8 hours. This storm is massive in its expanse.

How about a photo of the car? Whaddya say? We all need a good laugh after all, right?

(Nothing but a day in the life.......Coaching myself, "Chin Up! Chin Up!!!!!")

Pages