Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Breaking temperature records in Chicago...

(The legendary Dandelions of Grayslake, Illinois - Sunday May 8, 2011. Had to lie down on the grass(er, Dandelions) to take this photo of the Dandelions)

This is going to be a bit of a housekeeping entry.

- Bird thought to be injured
- Moon over Chicagoland
- Nest came after the bird
- Video of possibly eery night sky
- Dandelions
- Temperatures in Chicagoland

(I was catching up with the neighbor downstairs the other week and there was this Robin sitting on my front porch. To my eye, the bird looked like it was staring down the last few hours of its life. Why I interrupted the event as such, I have no explanation. Anyway, press the right-facing triangle and notice the bird's nest atop one of the pillars of my front porch. I think it is safe to assume that mama bird's water was about to break. Anyway, every time we come home or leave the apartment, we are greeting with a fleeing bird. She essentially flees the nest because we seem a potential harm to her egg. The bird, despite being with egg, really worked quickly to get that nest put together, and it is amazing engineering. Czech the photo below to bear witness. I haven't heard the sounds of a little baby chick just as yet. Photo taken Thursday April 7 2011.)

And, the bird nest:
(I just took this photo on Wed May 11, 2011. Just as I opened the exterior door to the apartment, the mama Robin immediately flew out of the nest and started chirping at me from a tree branch only 10 feet away. Very cute how dedicated she is. But the photo showcases her craftsmanship on that nest. Wow! The bird has a skill set if I have ever seen one. Just needs a resume and a cover letter.)

Greetings. I realized today, don't know why I would forget this, that I actually have 6 viable grape vines growing in Southeast Logan Square Chicago, Illinois. The varietals are, once again:

-  Mars Seedless
-  Syrah (not supposed to be growing here with temperatures like we get in the winter)
-  Cabernet Sauvignon (not supposed to be growing here either)

Two of these varietals I bought by listening to my heart and not my head (Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon). The Mars Seedless I bought at Lowe's Hardware because it was already a developed vine, unbeknownst to me that it was an inter-specific hybrid brought about in 1986 by the lovely folks at the University of Arkansas (Ar-Kansas as the folk musicians say).

And about that moon...
(Photo taken April 17, 2011 Grayslake, Illinois)

(Photo taken April 17, 2011 Grayslake, Illinois)







Today Tuesday May 10, 2011 in Chicago, the temperatures reached 90 degrees Fahrenheit at O'Hare International airport. Talk about craziness, but it was a lovely day. I even gave some of the plants outside a little drink from the garden hose. This temperature apparently broke a record for April 17, which has not been breached since 1896. Big deal, for sure.

(Mas Dandelions! Sunday May 8, 2011 Grayslake, Illinois)

(Many, many, many Dandelions in Grayslake Illinois Sunday May 8 2011)

As I sign off right now at this ripe hour of dawn, the current temperature is 68 degrees Fahrenheit. The world is alive here in Southeast Logan Square. Birds even like it here at the apartment. The next blogulation is going to involve the most recent photos of the vines on-site here at this urban appellation.

Pages