Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cabernet Sauvignon 01-2010 St. Louis???????

That headline tells the story.

Upon arrival at my parents' backyard, dare I say (vineyard?), my mom informed me of two success stories. Let's look at the photos.

This photo above is a snap of a very young vine from my parents' backyard. The story is that my mom dug out some Peonys from just north of the existing Cabernet Sauvignon 01-2008 vine. There was nothing planted there in March 2008 during the planting of the original 2 vines, I planted the 2nd vine cutting just south of the site of the now live Cabernet Sauvignon 01-2008 St. Louis. In going through the flower bed by the garage this past weekend, which is where my mom re-planted the Peonys that were originally under the shady grapevine, my mom came across something that seemed to resemble a vine with leaves that were very, very familiar to her. After pulling out weeds from the garage flower bed, it was determined by my mom and my brother that, indeed, it was a grape vine. I have no idea how this happened, they have no idea how this happened. Did my mom grab some grape vine roots in the process of pulling the Peonys out of their original bedding? I haven't the experience to suggest one way or the other as I have not propagated grape vines using such a method prior. Regardless, this is an unexpected birthing of a vine that did not exist when the Peonys were transferred. Here we have Cabernet Sauvignon 02-2010 St. Louis!!!!


This photo above reveals a vine cutting that I just took a chance with around the time of March 10 2010. I remember this because I came back to St. Louis for a funeral during that time. When I the original Cabernet Sauvignon 01-2008 St. Louis vine was pruned on 02/26/10 we kept a few cuttings with the notion of possibly planting a few to see if they would take off (I took nearly 15 cuttings to Chicago, IL). The photo reveals what resulted from my just simply taking a gamble and putting two vine cuttings into the ground around March 10 2010 to see if they would take off on their own. I did this experiment because if cuttings can take off in flower pots inside my apartment in Chicago, IL during the month of March (still a pretty chilly month in that region - think air leaking through windows, sun still at a southern slant, etc.), then surely they can grow if actually put directly into soil (novel idea, eh?). And here is what we have, a real vine actually growing 4 months and 2 days later. Here I present Cabernet Sauvignon 01-2010 St. Louis.

It's all madness.

Pages