Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Syrah grape vine experiments

The videos I am going to provide in this posting will indicate that I have taken some direction from a relatively nearby vineyard (west of Bloomington, Illinois). The deal is that the vines are truly enjoying the July heat typical of the Upper Midwestern region of The United States of America. Therefore they are growing like mad, which I certainly encourage. However, my poor planning (part of jumping into something that I had no idea about) needed to be addressed. I had eventually run out of wooden stake as these lovely vines were outgrowing them. In the videos one can see what I have chosen to do.

Also, because of what I have read regarding the wonderful ability of Fava Beans, I have decided to plant a few of my remaining Fava Beans (from Territorial Seed Co. - a great company, by the by) near the base of both of the Syrah grape vines growing in my gardens. I have often read about Fava Beans being used as a cover crop during the winter seasons. My idea was that maybe I could borrow from that concept and apply it a little bit early here in the oh-so urban Southeast Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. These flower beds have only been getting lovin' spoonful from myself and my neighbor in the past 2 to 3 years. I am uncertain how long it takes to get a soil back up to par after so many years of neglect and plastic covering (weed preventative methods for The Lazies out there). I'll be sure to blog about whether my vines thrive or dive as a result of this science experiment. I figure if graffiti, far-flung 40oz bottles of King Cobra malt liqour, or the Fourth of July celebrations from the locals do not harm the vines, then perhaps lowly and meek Fava Beans won't do much harm. (My Latin neighbors really know how to outdo the City of Chicago in the usage of fireworks with full f*#king report). Y'all come to the neighborhood one summer during this particular period of time and you'll get a better sense of things. Sit on the stoop, pour wine for you and your friends, have a radio playing your favorite tunes full of professionally studio-compressed mp3's and take in the fireworks. Why go downtown and fight the crowds? Just don't expect to get much sleep on the night of the 4th of July because these folks don't stop with the explosives until about 6AM.

Final Notes:
I must actually correct a misunderstanding: The Fourth of July celebration in my neighborhood actually begins around the 27th of June and extends well into the days after the 4th of July, certainly the peak is on the 4th of July. It is pretty rad, but man, I can't help but think of all of the money going up in smoke. For someone as broke-ass as I am, I weep internally when I see so many fireworks go up in smoke.

Syrah 01-2009 Chicago, Illinois (Conejo Loco Vineyards)




Syrah 02-2009 Chicago, Illinois (Conejo Loco Vineyards)

Pages