Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1 2010 Saturday update from the garden

This is the Mars Seedless Grape vine. I am going to have to begin putting up the stakes pretty soon. I lifted one of the vines from last year and it is a very durable plant. I love this photo because it captures quite nicely the variegation of the leaves. Interesting how they all started pinkish in colour.


Joe Pye Weed in the backyard. This plant really took off this week. I feel like a successful gardener when things like this happen.

Roma Tomatoes. They are soooooooo very much in need of being transplanted. The job just simply doesn't provide much time to do that. Soon enough, though.

A sample of some of my Fava Beans that I have planted with my roommate. I started them in the pot, she watered them and then she graciously planted them in the backyard garden patch. I hope it sends the nitrogen down into the soil!

I couldn't pass this up, it is my beloved Big Bluestem native prairie grass. I have never seen it come out of dormancy until this year, because this will mark my first year of growing Big Bluestem. So far, so cool.


This Cabernet Franc bud is pregnant. Perhaps in about 4 weeks I'll be able to give a good photo of a growing cutting. Fingers crossed.

This is 'The Dynamic Duo': my two early growers from the cluster of Cabernet Sauvignon cuttings that I brought back from my folks' home in St. Louis, MO.

This was the second cutting to sprout this year. Just the update photo, but it has certainly taken off this past few days. My roommate and I were actually wondering if the vine has sent out fruit, the camera couldn't focus to show what could be seen with the eye. Cabernet Sauvignon. There are actually a couple of round plant objects coming off of the new vine, backdropped by the leaf that is covering part of the rim of the flower pot that this thing is situated in. I just wonder what it is because I didn't see anything of the like last year with the Syrah vines that I grew last year.

This is the view from the top of the second cutting. Simply another angle to reveal the growth. Cabernet Sauvignon.

The weather was 80 degrees yesterday. Then the rains came. I didn't get a photo of the Willamette Hops or my Syrah grape vine because the camera memory needed to be dumped. But those will come. We had two days of strong winds (both Thursday and Friday). In reviewing the garden I noticed that probably my most robust Willamette Hops vine was broken at the top, more than likely because it still had not gotten to a fence wire or other object in order to grow and wrap itself around. It was just out there hanging around in the frontier until the strong wind made its presence known.

Pages