Thursday, May 13, 2010

This took me by surprise

Plenty of entries here in the past 48 hours, but all for good reason. The story goes that I have in my office at work a Cabernet Sauvignon cutting that I put into a pot, nearly 9 weeks ago. I have been patient with it, provided water, it is situated in a lovely window sill (that is, the sunlight directs itself onto this pot for a good many afternoon hours). About two weeks ago, an former co-worker stopped by to visit and catch up, he also is an amateur local gardener. I asked him what he thought of the potted cutting and he reported that the buds still looked viable. I have been worried because everything I have planted this year is up against the success of my attempts to grow Syrah cuttings in pots during the spring of 2009, which render astonishing successes. I took Tom's words, his assessment and tried to feel encouraged.

Every once in a while I look at the pot and tell it, "It's okay to grow, Mr. Vine. You need to grow.". Seriously. I did talk to this cutting, just to be silly, in recent weeks. It is probably more hokey and strange more than anything. During my morning rounds, today, of reviewing the plant and putting my finger on the soil to test for estimated moisture levels, I seemed to notice a much larger bud at the base of the cutting than I had remembered from recent weeks. Upon looking closer, there is a greenish hue to the bud. Apparently the fuzzy texture has been pushed away by the green leaves that are coming from within and now there is only one layer of plant material that separates the leaves from protruding outward and being fully exposed to the elements of air, water, heat, and environment, directly. Excellent news.

Today it is warm and I think the plant will respond to the heat. I may well have a photo of bud break within the next 6 days. Until then, here is a photo of what I see today (Thursday May 13, 2010). Again, there is a 30 to 40-year Master Plan that is providing a larger scope. This could well be one of the foundational vines for Conejo Loco Vineyards

Pages